No one has to tell you that money in public education is tight, so it never hurts to find grants or awards to help improve your school’s standing. Whether you want to enhance global learning, have students better master STEM courses, or purchase technology that general budgets can’t afford, opportunities worth thousands of dollars are available for the taking this school year.
Finding the Right Funding
The National Education Association (NEA), National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), National Science Teachers Association (NSTA), and National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) all have lists of grant opportunities. And nonprofit groups—such as DonorsChoose, Digital Wish, and GrantWatch—offer even more.
For example, one award rewards innovative use of data collection technology using a computer, graphing calculator, or other handheld device in a science class. Another offers grants of up to $4,000 for preschool through 8th grade NCTM teachers to develop projects that will help students better appreciate and understand geometry.
Here are a few others:
- Digital Wish helps find funding for classroom technology: http://www.digitalwish.com/dw/digitalwish/teachers
- DonorsChoose empowers teachers to request much-needed materials for students: https://www.donorschoose.org
- GrantWatch provides awards for schools that demonstrate high achievement or significant improvement: https://www.grantwatch.com/grant-search.php
- The NEA Foundation awards grants of up to $5,000 to members to enhance teaching and learning: http://www.nea.org/grants/grantsawardsandmore.html
- Northrop Grumman Foundation Teachers Academy helps enhance middle school teacher confidence in science, engineering, and technology while increasing teacher understanding of skills needed for a scientifically literate workforce: http://www.nsta.org/northropgrumman
- NSTA's Shell Science Lab Challenge recognizes outstanding middle and high school programs for science lab instruction using limited resources: http://www.nsta.org/shellsciencelab
More sites to search:
- Grants.gov: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/search-grants.html?keywords=teachers
- Foundation Center: http://foundationcenter.org/find-funding
- NSTA: http://www.nsta.org/about/awards.aspx and http://www.nsta.org/publications/calendar
- NCTM: nctm.org/grants
- NCTE: http://www.ncte.org/research-foundation/grants and http://www.ncte.org/tyca/awards/programs
To learn more about how Boxlight products align with funding opportunities, check out our funding guides.>>