Back-to-school season can be stressful for many reasons: planning curriculum for the semester, finding resources and content, and gathering important materials to support your curriculum and students throughout the semester. On top of that, if you have school-aged children of your own, you will have to make sure they’re prepared for a new school year as well—and remember to make their lunches and get them to class on time every day.
One thing you shouldn’t have to worry about is how you are going to pay for all the expensive classroom supplies, paper products, and organizational tools to help you start the year on the right foot. Luckily, many retailers are aware of the financial burden that teachers can experience during the back-to-school season, and offer deals and discounts especially for educators.
To help you save some money on all your classroom needs, we have compiled a list of some of the best back-to-school deals for teachers, as well as deals to help you save all year long.
Stock up on Supplies
- Staples has some great online deals that change daily and offer up to 50% off popular school and office supplies. In the store, use your school ID to buy more of special deals that are limited to a certain number per customer.
- Amazon has a “Deals for a Happy School Year” landing page, where you can find great prices and deals on school supplies. They also offer quantity discounts on supplies, making this a great option if you’re purchasing for large classes, grades, or an entire school.
- Michaels has a year-round discount for educators of 15% off your entire purchase, and you can register your educator ID through Michaels Rewards to make the discount instantly apply at checkout. This deal can be especially useful if you’re looking for classroom decorations or project supplies.
- The Container Store® sends out curated offers for educators throughout the year to help you keep your classroom neat and organized. Sign up for the Organized Teacher program to receive special deals through December 31, 2019.
Books and News
- Barnes & Noble is holding Educator Appreciation Days on weekends this summer until September 15, during which educators will receive 25% off most merchandise both in stores and online. Make sure to sign up for their Educator Discount program so you can receive your savings at checkout.
- Books-A-Million has an Educator Card that can be used to receive special discounts both in store and online. The card also offers 20% off in-store purchases year-round.
- The New York Times is running an academic sale for up to 60% off a basic subscription with access to unlimited articles on any device. This limited-time offer will continue to renew at the sale rate as long as you can verify that you’re still an educator.
- USA Today offers savings of over 45% on classroom subscriptions for educators. With this subscription, you can provide students with hard copies of current news in the classroom each week.
- The Washington Post offers 50% off subscriptions for active K-12 teachers and US college students, faculty, and staff. The academic rate provides unlimited digital access to washingtonpost.com as well as all Washington Post apps on any device.
Services and More
- FedEx offers teachers a discount of 15% off shipping and more at all participating FedEx Office locations nationwide. Enroll in the Educator Rewards Program to receive this deal year-round.
- AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile all offer their own deals for educators. If you’re looking to save on your phone or internet bill, it could be worth your while to call your provider and ask about educator discounts.
- The National Parks Service gives teachers a 15% discount on purchases and offers free lesson plans to help engage students and teach them about sustainability and other important topics.
- Trendy clothing brands with great teacher wardrobe options like Madewell, LOFT, Banana Republic, and J.Crew all offer 15% off purchases with your school ID all year long. Update your wardrobe with cute and comfortable staples that can easily be taken from the classroom to a night out.
- Universal Studios Hollywood provides special discounts for educators with an ITIC card. To learn more about the ITIC discount card, visit their website.
- Through October 6, teachers can receive 20% off at Anthropologie both in store and online. Stock up on candles to help you relax after a long school day or buy that cute dress you’ve been eyeing all summer long.
- Whether you’re looking for furniture for your home or classroom, West Elm offers teachers a 15% discount all year long. Save your valuable weekend time to relax and spend time with family, not furniture shopping.
By utilizing these discounts, you can save hundreds of dollars a year––leaving you with more cash in your pocket when next summer comes around! Did we miss any of your favorite educator deals? Let us know in the comments below! For more helpful teaching tips all year long, be sure to subscribe to our Educator blog.