As the air gets cooler and the leaves start to change, now is the time to weave some festive fall and Halloween fun into your lessons! Here is our collection of engaging themed content to help you get students in the spirit this month:
- October Calendar and Morning Meeting: It’s time for jackets, pumpkins, and spooky things! This morning meeting pack will have students practicing skills all month long with the featured calendars, activities, attendance chart, and more.
- 2D Math Shapes for Young Learners: Ideal for younger learners from early childhood and preschool up to the kindergarten age, this lesson reviews two-dimensional shapes and offers plenty of chances for students to participate.
- Colors Activities for Young Learners: Aimed at younger learners (early childhood, preschool, and kindergarten ages), this lesson provides lots of opportunities to practice color identification.
- Halloween Math and ELA Gallery Pack: What's more fun than Halloween this time of year?! In this spooky gallery pack, you'll find Halloween-themed images, math lessons, and math templates to engage your students during this exciting time.
- Lesson Renovation | Pocket Charts Galore: This simple renovated lesson features an interactive pocket chart where students move letter cards to create CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) or CCVC and CVCC words. The lessons include sound recordings for each word so that students and teachers can hear the word before creating it.
- Halloween Sound Sort: Take a look at this Halloween-themed lesson for some spooky ideas about how you can engage students with sound sorting.
- Go Batty for Addition: An extension of the Halloween Gallery Pack, this lesson includes some additional fun and batty practice pages as well as word problems.
- Candy Corn Multiplication: Looking to take your Halloween-themed lessons even further? This fun multiplication lesson might give you some ideas!
Tips for Teachers!
Powerful Features to Enhance Lessons
Within the MimioStudio™ classroom software, you have a variety of very helpful tools at your disposal. The MimioStudio Gallery is pre-loaded with graphics, multimedia, and templates that can be used to enhance any of your lessons. Once you open the Gallery, you can do a keyword search or simply browse the numerous items that are included when the software is installed.
The Gallery contains a number of folders that contain all sorts of useful elements that can be added to any lesson by dragging and dropping them onto your lesson page or by simply double-clicking them. The most powerful feature of the Gallery is that it's fully customizable, allowing you to create your own folders of content that can be easily accessed when you're in MimioStudio.
If you find yourself doing repeated procedures as you create a lesson in MimioStudio, turn it into a lesson template. You can drag full pages of a lesson into any area of the Gallery that you choose to create a lesson template page that can be used at any time. The Gallery serves as a great warehouse of multimedia with sound clips, Flash objects, and movie clips, along with graphics that you can add yourself to access when they are needed. And within our MimioConnect community, you can find Gallery Packs that others have created with various themes. Once downloaded, you can add this collection to your own Gallery, expanding the possibilities yet again.
Learn more in our upcoming Using the MimioStudio Gallery Quick Learn session, offered on October 3 and 22 at 7:00pm ET.
Easily Create Videos and Presentations
There are many great educational trends designed to shake up the typical classroom format in order to improve student learning, such as interactive lessons, digital portfolios, and blended learning, just to name a few. One such trend is the flipped classroom model, which involves using short video lectures that students view before class, allowing class time to focus on student-centered projects and discussions.
Using the MimioStudio Recorder tool, creating videos for students can easily be accomplished. This tool allows you to capture anything that is being presented on your computer screen. You have options to save a selected window, area, or even the entire screen. Using a simple control panel within the software, you have all the features necessary to start, pause, and stop a recording. When complete, you can save the video as an .AVI file type, making it easy to share with others as you see fit.
Not only does this tool capture a screen presentation, it can also use an existing microphone on your computer or an external microphone to capture audio to go along with your presentation. This powerful feature allows you to create digital content that can be used for flipped classrooms, on your classroom webpage as topic tutorials, or in any way your creativity will allow.
Learn more in our upcoming MimioStudio: Extending Lessons Quick Learn session, offered on October 15 at 7:00pm ET.
Interested in checking out more of the Quick Learn sessions offered this month? Click here to view our complete list!