The typical classroom has changed a lot over the past few decades. With all of the exciting new tech innovations that have emerged, the chalkboard no longer reigns supreme.
Today’s educators have a variety of options to engage their students in learning. One of the favorites is the flat panel display, which easily brings students’ attention to the front of the classroom. Students are used to screens and feel comfortable with this technology, and educators across all subjects can use displays to enhance learning and foster collaboration in the classroom.
This technology is an investment, so you want to be sure you’re taking advantage of every feature available to help your students have the best possible learning experience. Here are 10 ideas to help you get the most out of your classroom flat panel display:
- Bring collaboration to your classroom: If your classroom has a ProColor interactive flat panel, you can take advantage of easy integration with other Boxlight solutions, including the MimioMobile™ collaboration app. Using the app, teachers can share students’ work on the front-of-the-class display, creating greater collaborative and cooperative learning.
- Promote time management: Trying to teach your students how to use time wisely when taking tests? By using a countdown on the display, your students will know exactly how much time they have left to complete a task, making sure they use every remaining minute wisely. You can also use a countdown to keep track of fun events, like holidays and the last day of school!
- Display detailed images: By using your display with a device like the MimioView™ document camera, you can bring small details to the big screen. You can easily showcase scientific specimens and math manipulatives in HD on your front-of-the-classroom display, bringing your lessons to life.
- Take a virtual field trip: If we could, we would take our students everywhere they wanted to go. Budget restrictions can get in the way of some of the field trips we’d like to take, but by using Google Earth on your display, you can immerse your classroom in a virtual field trip experience! From the comfort of your classroom, students can discover famous cities like Paris and Rome, visit Iguassu Falls, or even check out the Great Wall of China.
- Deliver interactive lessons: Using the MimioStudio™ classroom software, you can easily create and deliver engaging lessons on your flat panel display. If your display has touch capabilities, your students can even work together to complete a lesson at the display. Whether you create your own lessons from scratch or use lessons shared on teaching communities such as MimioConnect™, an interactive lesson is a great way to utilize your technology to increase engagement in your classroom.
- Stream from other devices: Want to stream content to your ProColor Series 2 interactive display from a mobile device or laptop? Or from the front-of-the-room display to a student's device? No problem! With the Unplug’d screen streaming software, learning has no boundaries. Thanks to the app's easy-to-use features, the teacher is in control of what is viewed and shared in the classroom.
- Incorporate movement: Different students have different needs, and this includes movement. Some students will fidget if they are sitting for too long, so it’s important to recognize the role movement can play in the learning process. You can get your students out of their seats and up at the display for a variety of activities. Whether you have them playing a game, interacting with touch lessons, or answering questions at the front of the room, you can get students moving as they learn.
- Gamify the learning experience: It's easy to turn learning into a game to help your students better understand tough concepts. You can create your own game show or borrow from a classic (like Jeopardy! or Family Feud) to put a fun twist on your lessons. Displaying the questions and answers on the flat panel will make it seem more realistic—and less like the classroom!
- Prep for an upcoming test: Help your students brush up on their knowledge during an interactive session with flashcards. Using Google Sheets, you can show words or questions on your display, then reveal the answers with a click. Far from the paper flashcards you may have used in school, this colorful, interactive format is guaranteed to engage students. Vocabulary lessons in particular can make great use of this feature—display the words and see if students know their definitions.
- Assess your students: Checking students’ comprehension of the concepts you’ve covered in your lessons is quick and easy. By using the MimioVote™ assessment system or MimioMobile app with your display, you can perform assessments to gain a deeper understanding of what students are learning and what needs more practice.
Flat panel displays can bring so much to your classroom, and we hope these ideas inspire you to try something new with yours. What’s your favorite way to use your classroom display? Be sure to let us know in the comments below!
Learn more about the many engaging, effective products and resources available to help you select, implement, and provide whole-group instruction—no matter your budget or needs.